WELCOME TO EMSWORTH MUSEUM
Welcome to the
website of the Emsworth
Maritime and Historical
Trust, who administer
and run the
The Museum is dedicated to telling the story of Emsworth; its people, industries triumphs and tragedies.
Famous people have lived and visited the town, and it became famous, or infamous, for the incident of the poisoned oyster that killed the Dean of Winchester. The oyster industry boomed in the late 1800s but was destroyed by the one incident; the story is told in its own small gallery within the Museum.
P.G. Wodehouse will be forever linked to Emsworth through his stories of Lord Emsworth and the Empress of Blandings, which grew in his imagination while he lived in Emsworth.
Please browse through
our website and we hope
that it will encourage
you to visit
Exhibition June 28th – July 27th
“J.D. Foster – Emsworth Shipbuilder, Oyster and Timber Merchant”
This exhibition by Bernie Gudge and Barry Mapley shows many aspects of J.D. Foster’s businesses and helps to illustrate his importance to Emsworth and the surrounding area.
James Duncan Foster was born in 1858 the third son of William Foster. Between 1885 and 1900 J.D. Foster built 11 oyster fishing smacks. Many shipbuilding experts consider these vessels to be the finest working sailing craft ever seen in the harbours of Britain. Echo, which is probably the most well known of his fleet, was chosen for the logo of Emsworth Maritime and Historical Trust.
A locally renowned racing cyclist, J.D. Foster competed in Chichester and it is believed helped to set up the Emsworth Racing Cycling Club. On his eightieth birthday he cycled 100 miles to the New Forest and back.
The pictures and documents on display are from Bernie Gudge’s own personal collection.
During the first weekend of the exhibition a number of people visited bringing with them photographs of the area that they had taken or had been handed on from other family members. In this way new information and pictures are being obtained for future exhibitions in the museum.Part of the display shows how badly damaged and faded photographs can be restored.
Hants. PO10 7DD
Saturdays and Bank Holidays: 10.30am -4.30pm
Sundays: 2.30pm - 4.30pm
Fridays in August: 2.30pm - 4.30pm
1Friday 6th June: 10.30am -4.30pm
afternoons throughout the year:
2.00pm - 4.00pm
Admission is free
Cash donations are always welcome.
Advance notice August exhibition - "The Men of Emsworth who went to War 1914 - 1918"